What is SENTRI?
You might have come across with the term “SENTRI”. But what is it exactly, and do you really need it? Let’s find out!
What is SENTRI?
SENTRI stands for Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection, and is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows pre-approved travelers to enter the United States more quickly and easily. SENTRI members can use dedicated lanes at land and sea ports of entry to expedite their processing, and they are also eligible for Global Entry and TSA PreCheck®.
To be part of this program, it is necessary to undergo a special procedure with the U.S. government. After a period of analysis and review of the application, they will decide whether or not to grant you the card.
Benefits and drawbacks of SENTRI
Overall, SENTRI program offers a number of benefits for travelers who frequently cross the US border. However, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding whether to apply.
- Expedited clearance at land and sea ports of entry: SENTRI members can use dedicated lanes at land and sea ports of entry to expedite their processing.
- Access to Global Entry and TSA PreCheck®
- Reduced wait times: SENTRI members typically experience significantly shorter wait times at both land and sea ports of entry, as well as at airports
- High Cost: $122.25 USD application fee
- Processing time: 10-12 months
- Eligibility requirements: They tend to be strict, including clean criminal record and background check.
- Revocation: Membership can be revoked for violating terms or committing a crime
- Short Lifetime: this card membership only lasts for 5 years and then you’ll have to renew it.
If you are interested in applying for the SENTRI program, you must visit the http.dhs.gov
If you are not elegible or if SENTRI program appears costly and time-consuming, there is an alternative option worth considering, CrossNow. This alternative provides a more accessible and an efficient solution for daily commuters who want to reduce their crossing wait times and are looking for a practical user-friendly alternative.